Saturday, 9 October 2010

Free range citizenship

I've noticed lots of negative comments when I ask if we really need to be handing Xboxes to the unemployed or having a 42" LCD in every room in our homes.

"Bring on the hairshirts, back to a cave existence etc.,"

It isn't for me to tell anyone how to live unless they are using my money taken by force to do it. And take by force they do. More than half of my income is spent by people I didn't elect on stuff I don't want financed. Mobility scooters for the morbidly obese, Urdu lessons for childminders, escalators on Mount Snowdon so the "disabled" won't feel marginalised or discriminated against.

There comes a time in life when most people (I think) actually realise they have enough stuff. I certainly do. Ferrari's and helicopters are the dreams of younger men than I and the best of luck to them in trying to attain them. I wouldn't take them as a gift. They need money to run. My main concerns these days are maintaining what I have and giving a little back to those who have helped me along my chosen path in life plus also throwing housebricks at those who insist I am not free to choose the path I wish but must follow them up a cul de sac.

If you consume vast quantities of "stuff" does it make you happy when you look at it or does it make you happy when you tell others about it? Hot tub in the garden? Why? 19" Alloys on the BMW. Why?

Perhaps I've just reached an age where all I really want is the knowledge that I am my own master. Free from the clutches of product marketing managers or Politicians, union barons or over zealous Police. I've noticed that I'm doing the things I would have willingly paid others to do in my younger days. Growing food, brewing beer, cooking, hunting, mending things I would have instantly thrown away and replaced. Last weekend I changed the brushes on the £500 washing machine (cost £8) instead of taking it to the dump and buying another. It took less time to do than buying a new one. I'm down to one TV in the house instead of five. No DVD re writer, no Sky Plus. A couple of old laptops, a standard nokia mobile phone. No iPad and Apple TV.

Autumn has seen me harvesting apples and berries, preserving food, cold smoking my own produced bacon that I shall relish eating over the winter. I'm not a hippy or a good life type at all. I know I could buy it all in Waitrose but the satisfaction of producing something from nothing is enormous. I am my own master of my own world.

My next goal is to go off grid. A few acres of land, probably not in the UK but somewhere that will let me live my chosen life in peace (clues: Must have access to open sea. Mussels and Oysters are free). I won't need a fortune, all I'll need is the knowledge that recessions don't affect me because I don't need "economic growth". Fiscal debt? GDP? Irrelevant. The empty lies and false promises of politicians will mean nothing to me or my veg plot. A high speed rail link to Europe? Go ahead, I don't care. It won't put the chickens off laying

All I'll need is everything I already have plus of course the time to enjoy it without a do gooder telling me I am my own worst enemy.

I expect to be crushed like a grape. One thing no government or corporation will tolerate is free range non consuming citizens.

UPDATE: May I remind the many anonymongs in the comments of one thing:

To be governed is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so.

To be governed is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished.

It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be placed under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonoured.

That is government; that is it's justice; that is its morality.

And the madness? You consent to be governed. You consent to all of the above.

No comments:

Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain


Related Posts with Thumbnails