The National Blood Donor Service.
I am a blood donor. Everytime I give blood, I am reminded of the following rules
There is a lifetime ban on giving blood to:
- any man who has had sex with another man, even safe sex using a condom
- anyone who has ever worked as a prostitute
- anyone who has injected themselves with drugs - even once
- anyone who has ever had syphilis, human T-lymphotropic virus, hepatitis B or C
Potential donors are also banned for 12 months after having had sex with:
- a man who has had sex with another man (if you're a female)
- a prostitute
- anyone who has ever injected themselves with drugs
- anyone with haemophilia or a related blood clotting disorder, who has received clotting factor concentrates
- anyone of any race who has been sexually active in parts of the world where Aids/HIV is very common(Black Africans basically)
Oh no, here we go.
But gay rights campaigner Peter Tatchell says a government that opposes homophobic discrimination cannot possibly uphold the ban.
"It is based on the stererotyped, irrational, bigoted and unscientific assumption that any man who has had oral or anal sex with another man - even just once 40 years ago with a condom - is high risk for HIV. This is nonsense.