Open mouthed at the comparison Jack Straw made with the 1689 Bill of Rights. Straw's proposals are not Rights, it is a catalogue of entitlements.
The only Rights that are being enshrined are for the State, it will enshrine the right of punitive taxation, the Right of a massive State to exist and exercise almost total control of the subject, because you will no longer considered a free citizen.
It will enshrine into Law the rights and privilges of this corrupt elite. What we need is a Bill of Rights extolling the priviliges of the individual against the State, Straw is explicit that his Bill of Rights AND Responsibilities of the individual to the State is framed to act against the 'Me' and is to reinforce the collective will.
1689 Bill Of Rights
* Freedom from royal interference with the law. Though the sovereign remains the fount of justice, he or she cannot unilaterally establish new courts or act as a judge.
* Freedom from taxation by Royal Prerogative. The agreement of parliament became necessary for the implementation of any new taxes.
* Freedom to petition the monarch.
* Freedom from the standing army during a time of peace. The agreement of parliament became necessary before the army could be moved against the populace when not at war.
* Freedom for Protestants to bear arms for their own defence, as suitable to their class and as allowed by law.
* Freedom to elect members of parliament without interference from the sovereign.
* Freedom of speech in parliament. This means that the proceedings of parliament can not be questioned in a court of law or any other body outside of parliament itself; this forms the basis of modern parliamentary privilege.
* Freedom from cruel and unusual punishment, as well as excessive bail.
* Freedom from fine and forfeiture without a trial.
This Act was to preserve the Freedom of the Elite against the Crown, Straw is attempting to preserve the Freedom of the Elite against the Electorate.